Monday, April 30, 2007

Garage Sale Goodies!!




I know you will all think I'm tacky but I love going to garage sales! Let me just preface this by telling you that it pays to buy new for most things but every once in a while it is fun to sort through other people's junk and find hidden treasures. I am always trying to de-junk myself so I try not to get too much.

From what I have found the garage sales in the midwest can be pretty awesome. My friend and I had fun visiting a few garages on Saturday. I found a couple of darling, clean little outfits for Kate, brand new tap shoes and ballet shoes for Hailey, a raincoat and hat (I have been looking for one I just haven't wanted to fork out the cash, it rains all the time here), slightly used Sketcher shoes for Hailey and Barbie roller skates!! I didn't pay more than nine bucks for all this stuff. Hailey has had so much fun going through our little bag of treasures that I think we will visit a couple more garage sales this summer.







The Best 50 cents I've Ever Spent


You know those expensive toys you buy and your kids play with them for like two seconds and then forget about them? Well, Hailey won't let go of this little 50 cent wonder. Without a doubt this is Hailey's favorite garage sale treasure. We named him Toby because she says it so cute. His head, feet, ears and tail wiggle and squeak as you pull him across the floor with the string. She loves taking him outside and pulling him down the sidewalk. I wish you could all hear her say "Come 'on Toby."


Hailey enjoying her garage sale raincoat

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Melanie,
What a fun day finding treasures at the garage sales! How I wish I could have been there too. It brings back fun memories going to that garage sale in Minnisota. I still can't believe we passed up that old chair and ottoman. Can you imagine the junk I would have bought? I'm so glad Hailey is having so much fun with little Toby. It's got to be a whole lot easier than cleaning up after Lucy! I miss her though. You sure have making alot of memories. Thanks for sharing your day of shopping. Love, Mom

Hanna said...

Don't be embarrassed about your love of garage-saling - Its so cool to find useable (or even AWESOME!) stuff for a bargain price.

even though it will take up lots of space, I'm going to share my garage sale story: A few years ago for Christmas I really wanted to get Guthrie one of those huge Little Tykes climbing toys. Unfortunately, we were broke (story of our lives, right?) and all the people on craigslist were asking for $200+ for the specific toy I wanted. (They are $350 new)

I just happened to mention to my mom that I was looking for one, and the next day she was on her way home through her neighborhood and passed a garage sale. She saw the exact toy I wanted, so pulled over to ask how much.

$15!!!!!! My mom told him that was WAY too cheap. So, he said, "Ok, $25." Ummm, SOLD, duh!

So, I got my climbing toy, in perfect condition, for $25.

*sigh* I love garage sales.