Saturday, February 9, 2008

Birthday Blooper




Before I even begin to explain the following story I just want to thank my sweet husband for a wonderful birthday even with our "small" mishap. As you read this story, please enjoy the theme song to John's favorite show......"The Apprentice."

So after opening some sweet gifts to begin with and blowing out candles on my ice cream cake he then proceeds to tell me we are going out to eat and then to the mall for a shopping spree while a babysitter watches the kids.

Ecstatic at the thought of buying a shirt or two for the first time in months I gathered ALL of my birthday money. Yes, money from my husband, mother-in-law, and my saved piano money all went into a small money envelope. No small amount, a sum of 380 dollars. I am embarrassed to even disclose of this information because this amount is too much for anyone to spend even if you are celebrating a birthday, however, the following events describe why the amount is needed to tell the story.

After dinner we drove straight to the mall. I grabbed my envelope full of cash and not wanting to lug around a diaper bag or my planner I asked him to put it in his pocket. I watched as he dropped it neatly inside his inside coat pocket. Giddy as a school girl I skipped into the mall holding my husband's hand.

We proceeded to shop at all of my favorite stores but knowing this money could go fast I put everything on hold in order to check all my options. I finally decided I wanted the shirt from Gap and asked the salesperson for the items on hold for Melanie. I told John, "I need the money." His hand went inside his pocket and then he said, "Oh my heck!" I told John to stop fooling around. The man was waiting for me to buy my items. After a couple minutes I realized he wasn't joking.

Long story short, John had draped his coat over his arm and it had somehow fallen out. AHHHHHHHHHHH! What a complete nightmare. We retraced our steps, but with no luck. As I sobbed, John cussed (something he never does) under his breath and kept telling me he had just ruined my birthday. It was really my fault for not putting it in my bag or in my coat pocket that actually zips!!!!

Well, John went straight to the ATM and pulled out the exact amount that was in the envelope and said that if he had lost anyone elses money he would pay them back and that was just what he was doing for me.

Earlier John had bought a pair of badly needed pants for Hailey with his card. We found out the money was lost and the mall was about to close. He said, "So help me if we leave this mall without getting something for you!!!" We went back to Gap with our "new" stash of money and I bought a couple shirts with mascara stained eyes.

John and I came to the conclusion that things like this just happen sometimes and we need to roll with the punches. At least we didn't get a speeding ticket, run into the back of a car, or get a root canal (oh wait, I already did that a couple weeks ago). HAHAHAHAHA

We are now laughing about our stupidity although the pain of knowing our money is gone still stings a little. There are a lot of things to be grateful for. I have two beautiful girls, a sweet husband, family, friends and the gospel. My husband's optimism is contagious and I hope I can be more like him everyday. Thank you John for helping me laugh because if it weren't for your attitude I would be crying!!!! I prefer to look on the bright side because thinking about the lost money really just makes me sick.



5 comments:

Chantri said...

Oh no, I feel so bad. I always fear that exact thing while I am shopping. Sometimes I carlessly shove my greens in my pant pockets cuz I am too lazy to actually put them away where they go...to only find them months later cuz I had totally forgotten where I had put it. Anyways--at least you got a birthday cake and you got to spend a few hours with you hubby alone. Did you ever report the missing money to the mall security? Some dishonest person had a great time with it i'm sure... :(
Anyways I know its late But-- HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

The Sullengers said...

That is too bad! Kash and I had a spendy December - we broke one of our friends carpet cleaners, I ran into his car(side swiped more like it) and lost our bags and had to buy a few toiletries to get by. It always sucks when you have to spend money you don't have or had and lost! I'm sorry to hear that but glad you can laugh about it now!

Emily said...

Oh man, I hate it when things like this happen!!!!! You guys have great attitudes. Happy birthday!

Sharp family said...

HOLY MOOLY! I am so sorry! I hope you had a good birthday despite the mishap! We love and miss you both!
Bec

Jess said...

oh man mel that one makes me want to cry too! Even if i had found the money after, i would still want to cry just from feeling that way. i'm glad everything worked out though, and i'm so sorry i forgot to call on your birthday! i totally knew it was your birthday that morning too but lame as i am i got caught up in the day! well you know what my mom says...the best problems are the ones that can be solved with a little bit of money...even if you do loose it first! haha...happy birthday mel!