Sunday, August 29, 2010

"The Hurried Child"
 I have been thinking a lot about the blessing and responsibility I have as a mother. I have been watching The Sullengers blog (you can read their story here) ever since my trip to Idaho when I learned of the tragic accident that occurred to their 18 month old baby girl Preslee. Although I don't know them,  I have been touched by the Sullenger's faith, strength and testimony of the gospel amidst such tribulation. I feel a closeness to them because I visit my parent's ward often and Ashley's father is their bishop.
 When the accident happened, our family began praying for Preslee and the Sullenger family. When Hailey prayed, she never forgot to "bless little Preslee." Even though she had never met her, she loved her and even cried because she was worried about her. To this day she continues to ask Heavenly Father to bless Preslee. When I explain to Hailey that Preslee has gone back up to her Father in Heaven she just looks at me and says, "I know mom."
I can think of no greater pain than that of losing a child. In her post today Ashley talks about a book I will read now called "The Hurried Child." Dave Elklind, the author, explains that hurried children are stressed children. He also talks about how young children tend to perceive hurrying as rejection. All of this time rushing them in EVERYTHING (get those shoes on, get in the car, brush your teeth, and HURRY!!!!) has been adding extra stress in my kids lives.
My heart goes out to the Sullenger family. I continue to pray for them. I know that they share my testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ of Latter day Saints and also the knowledge that families can be together forever. I only hope that I can strive each day to be a better mother to my precious girls.
I need to slow down...be patient with them, hurry them a little less and love them a little more.
    


4 comments:

Rebecca said...

Thanks for the reminder Mel. Thanks for the sweet post. I miss you.

Heathelyn said...

I probably spent an hour reading their blog and crying with these people I don't even know. But even thought their story is so tragic, I am struck by their faith, strength and courage! Thank you for sharing. After reading it, I went and played with Enessa for the rest of the morning.

The Sullengers said...

Thanks Mel - I'm going to send this to Ashley to look at. I also need to read that book!

Denise Rigby said...

Thanks Melanie, I love you so much. It doesn't matter how old we are, we each to to slow down and appreciate life and our loved ones. Ashley, Pat and Preslee will always be one of the sweetest examples of a forever family. I still pray for them.
MOM