Saturday, June 16, 2007

DAD
So I looked and looked and couldn’t find
A poem to tell our story
In all and all they lacked the words
And left me in a borey.

My fondest memories include a vest
Its color is bright red
You always seem to have that shirt
It is engraven in my head

Or what about Wynonna Judd
You may not like to say
There is something funny about a Dad
Who rocks out along the way.

I often think about those mushrooms
Fermenting till next dose
I’ll never forget the glass you’d pour
Man we thought that was gross

Which brings me to your desire for health
Apple Vinegar and such
Its claim is “regularity”
Oh no! You took too much!

There was a time when Mom was sick
Your faith is what got us through
But man when it came to oatmeal mornings
We would have rather eaten pooh.

I’ll never forget your immaculate yard
Crab apples on the tree
Or the welts you left on my backside
A friendly war between you and me.

Your love for the outdoors has found its place
Deep down into my heart
There is nothing like the wild outdoors
And that freedom to let a fart.

The old red truck it has been fun
Those times they can’t be beat
You always liked to sit shotgun
Criticizing my lead feet.


Your new found talent of painting
It truly blows my mind
Your works are part of that legacy
When you leave us behind

Speaking of that legacy
The most important thing of all
Is you’ve taught us spiritual lessons
And what to do when you fall

Just like the horses that you love
When we’re thrown off to the ground
Your testimony has taught us such
To get back up, He’ll never let us down.

Now as a Father to my own
Your example is my goal
Thank you Dad for all these times
I promise to follow your role.


Happy Father's Day








1 comment:

Gio said...

poet man john,
awesome poem.